Find out how you can save an average of 40%-50% off your grocery bill every time you shop by price matching at Walmart:
What is price matching?
When a store offers to sell something for the same advertised price that another store offers. It can also be called ad comparison or comping, for short.
How does price matching help me save money?
With price matching you can purchase all the best deals in your entire area at one store.
How do I price match?
- Read and get familiar with Walmart’s guarantee ad match policy. I also suggest that you print it out and keep with you for reference purposes.
- Look through Saving at the Lake’s Price Match List or check your local grocery store ads for good deals. All ads must be current.
- Pick which items you would like to price match, and make a list. (Or print Saving at the Lake’s Price Match List.)
- Bring your list & ads in the store with you. Some cashiers require that you have them with you, others won’t. But it is better to be safe than sorry! Don’t cut them up, they will need to verify the dates. (You can also print ads from the local store’s site or show the cashier the ad on your smartphone.)
- While shopping, make sure you pick up the exact item from the competitor’s ad. Items purchased must be identical to the ad: size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.
- At the register, place price match items all together on the belt, do not mix with non-price match items. I put them first on the belt, but this is simply a personal preference.
- Inform the cashier that you will be price matching and as they pick up items, read off your price list. Have the ads ready to show if the cashier asks for them. (Some people like to place sticky notes on each item with the price so that the cashier can simply read the price without asking.)
If you have any difficulties with the cashier over the ‘rules’ of price matching, pull out the ad match guarantee and see if you can come to a resolve. If the problem still continues, call for a manger and explain the issue politely. If you are still not pleased with the outcome or the way you were treated, either ask to speak with the store manager or contact them through My local Walmart app.
Can I price match Walmart’s online prices in-store?
No, they will not match prices with their online store (or other online stores) because they do not consider them to be in competition with their retail stores.
Can I price match and use coupons together on the same item?
Yes, price match your item as normal and hand coupons to cashier at the end of the transaction.
What is the mile radius for price matching?
This depends on the individual Walmart store and is determined by management. I have found that our local stores will cover a 50 mile radius.
Can I price match store brand items?
As long as the item is identical, Walmart will price match local store brands such as: Best Choice, Always Save, Kroger Brand, etc.
Can I price match produce and meat?
Yes, fresh produce and meat items can be price matched when the price is offered in the same unit type (lb. for lb.; each for each)
Can I price match BOGO (Buy one get one free) promotions?
Yes, as long as the promotion includes a specific price. Example: Buy one for $2.49, get one free (BOGO). If there is no price list, you cannot.
Can I price match a ‘Buy a certain amount of items’ sale (Example: Buy 5 items, save $5.00 instantly at checkout)?
Yes, as long as the after savings price is listed in the ad. You should be able to purchase as many or as little as you want. It does not have to be the listed quantity.
Can I price match a ‘Buy a certain amount’ sale (Example: Buy $5.00 in product get one item for .01)?
No, there always has to be a specific item and price included in the ad.
Tips & Suggestions:
- Always have your list and ads ready to go. The more organized you are the easier it is for you and the cashier.
- Do not try to price match an item that you are not sure is an exact match.
- Follow the rules. If someone is taking advantage of the system it will only backfire in the end.
- Always, always be as polite as possible. You don’t know what kind of day the cashier is having and nothing is ever solved by being rude.
- Look for cashiers that don’t seemed to be overwhelmed.
- If possible, go to a cashier that already knows you or that you have gone to in the past.
Ready to start price matching? Save time by checking out Saving at the Lake’s price match list!
If you have any further questions or comments, please leave them in the comments section below.